Friday, January 1, 2016

Christmas 2015 Food Reviewers' Gathering at Garage 51

A few of us active food reviewers gathered together at Garage 51 on 19 Dec 2015 (Saturday) evening at 7pm. This time round it was on our own pockets. It was my first time doing this with them. I  was contemplating the whole morning whether I should come since I had a pile of year end work piled up from the recent work trip of Vegas. Finally, after completing some of my work, I made a last minute decision at the nick of the hour to attend the food reviewers' gathering at Garage 51.


I have heard so much about Garage 51 but I have never actually gotten the chance to dine here. Since it was a food reviewers' session, they all ordered the entire segment on main dishes served inly after 8 pm.

SERVICE:

The service is just awesome! The waiters here are super friendly and ever ready to snap photos for us so it is the perfect place to hang out whereas usually places like this have terrible service due to lack of manpower and too busy place.

Chicken Parmigiano with Mashed Potatoes and Salad (RM 18) 

The chicken is deep fried but it was definitely not chicken chop. I love the mashed potatoes which did not taste like the instant ones sold at the mall or at the hawker's or hawker stall at a food court or kopitiam. There was a big dollop of cheese on top.


Grilled Salmon Spaghetti with Lemon Cream (RM 24) 

This dish looks really simple. Anyone can whop this out but the trip lies in grilling your salmon in such a way that the salmon is not over-grilled till it's hard. The cream sauce is not as creamy as carbonara.


Spaghetti Aglio Olio with Smoked Salmon (RM 23) 

The spaghetti is usually a very common dish but they managed to make a common dish delicious and I applaud them. The salmon pieces are in very small chunks and pieces.


Penne Basil Salmon Pesto with Grilled Chicken (RM 16) 

This is one of the best pesto and spaghetti in Klang Valley. I am not a fan of the chicken breast meat used but thank god the pesto sauce remains rich and tasty and managed to coat the pasta. The piece of deboned chicken on top makes everything looks easy.




Australian Beef Sirloin Spaghetti Aglio Olio (RM 19) 

The 4 pieces of thin slices used to make our breakfast. The beef is just nice .



Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Fries and Avocado (RM 20) 

The thin piece of avocado is somewhat insufficient for me. I crave for more. The sandwich is just plain and I did not feel much of the avocado. The french fries are all too soggy and not to be eaten by human beings. Can you believe it that we actually asked the friendly waiter to cut this sandwich into 10 pieces? Seriously? Anyway, he understood us and was more than happy to help.




Pan-fried Dory Fish with Carbonara,  Fluffy Cream, Basil, Pesto and Strawberry sauce (RM 22)

Among the rest of the food, this is THE WINNER For me because I loved the thin corn flour pastry used to make the crispy wrap and eaten together with salsa, diced avocado, cheese, olives, tomatoes.



Next up, is dessert galore!

DESSERTS FOR CHRISTMAS 2015

For Christmas 2015, there are special desserts called the Messed Up Family (RM 18.90). Being bloggers, we have ordered everything on the banner. This is the current hot item so much so that one can see every table ordering this.

1. The Santa

There is milk shake at the bottom with 2 big pieces of chocolate brownies and a lot of Garrett style chocolate flavoured popcorn overflowing at the bottom.

2. The Cousin

This has pretzels as the crown with dark chocolate brownies below. Way right below is a mug of chocolate shake. The shake is very dark and thick with a syringe at the side. At first, I wonder what is the purpose of the syringe then my dearest friend Xin Yee explained to me that it is left there for us to pump in more milk shake when needed.

3. The Son

Firstly, I am not sure of why this is the name. There are pretzels laid surrounding the top of the mug and marshmallows at the top. The milk shake is of nutella with hints of awesomeness (according to the menu) but I thought it would have been better with more nutella.



4. The Father

OK, this has chocolate teddy bears surrounding the top of the giant mug. It reminds me of the chocolate biscuits babies and children eat. There are cereals and Coco Crunch on top and chocolate peanut butter milk shake at the bottom so naturally this is my top favourite.








Garage 51 has many awards on its hat, amongst which:

Best Cafe by TimeOut KL, 
Top 5 New Hidden Cafes in KL - Malaysia Tatler 
Top 20 Must-Try Coffee Places in KL - SAYS.com
Great Gourmet Coffee and Cafe Food - New Straits Times 

So naturally, the coffee love (yours truly) could not help trying the Mochatella (RM 16), one of my favourite things to order as it contains thick mocha ladden inside the ice cubes drank with milk and nutella. This is simply remarkable and I would have finished every sip if it isn't because it was dark. 


Hot Dark Chocolate 

It looks like a great one looking at the dark brown colour. One can sense the richness of the chocolate. 


Finally, it's present exchange time! Due to my last minute arrival, I did not get to exchange presents. 






No comments:

Post a Comment